1% for the Planet
Antaris is proud and grateful to be able to contribute 1% of our gross turnover to accredited environmental/sustainability organisations, which is independently verified by 1% for the Planet. 1% for the Planet helps fund diverse environmental organisations so that collectively they can be a more powerful source in solving the world’s problems; protecting the resources that companies use for profit.
For 2020, Antaris has donated to four Irish organisations, each receiving an equal share of our 1% of the Planet contribution, that will help sustain and afford each organisation to continue with their hard work and dedication, undergoing a number of activities.
Irish Seed Savers Association maintains the country’s public seed bank with over 600 non-commercially available varieties of seed. They conserve and grow heritage apple trees and other fruit tree varieties and run workshops throughout the year on various topics to help inform and teach others how to save seeds and grow their own food and be self-sustainable and to help encourage greater food security for future generations. Their main objective is to conserve Ireland’s very special and threatened plant genetic resources.
Friends of the Irish Environment acts as the formal structure for an active network of volunteers who try and fulfill the following goals:
- monitor the full implementation of, and to assist in the development of, European law;
- work for changes in the Irish planning laws;
- encourage the implementation of the right to full public participation and access to justice;
- provide assistance to individuals, local groups, and the wider public in understanding environmental issues;
- seek proper implementation of environmental and planning law to support sustainable communities including the pursuit of concerns and cases in both the built and the natural environment.
Dublin Zoo is a registered charity that works in partnership with zoos worldwide to make a significant contribution to the conservation of biodiversity on earth. Dublin Zoo adhere to strict codes of practice in animal welfare laid down by European and Global Associations. The organsation also support specific research staff, collaborative partnerships with universities and regular publications, symposia and workshops, as well as financially support a variety of conservation projects of which great apes, tigers, rhinos, golden lion tamarins, African wild dogs and amphibians have been recipients.
Cyclist.ie is a membership-based, Irish cycling advocacy organisation of the affiliated urban cycling or walking campaigns groups in Ireland. Their mission is to act as a non-governmental organisation for purposes which are beneficial to the community and to be a national voice in promoting cycling as an integral part of the transport system, and as an enjoyable, healthy, low-cost and environmentally friendly activity in its own right. Their aims include:
- That a minimum of 10% of transport’s capital funding is allocated to cycling.
- That the government’s National Cycle Policy Framework (2009) is implemented in full – and this includes appropriate staffing and training within the appropriate government departments, agencies and local government.
- That legislative changes so as to make cycling safer and easier (e.g. safe overtaking) are introduced, and that all traffic legislation related to creating a safer cycling environment is properly enforced.
- That our transport network is radically recast so as to include high quality cycle and walking-friendly infrastructure for all ages and abilities, which is integrated with all forms of public transport.
- That Cyclist.ie becomes a much stronger, more influential, inclusive, and effective umbrella group of cycling advocacy groups, which captures the views of its wide and diverse membership – and the many types of people who cycle or would like to cycle but are currently deterred because of a hostile road environment.
Each of these organisations have devoted a wealth of time, expertise, and care to ensuring the continuation and sustainability of the earth – maintaining and preserving its natural environment from destruction and extinction, and raising awareness on its importance.